Did you know that skin health starts from within? Skin is your largest organ, and it often reflects our inside health. People frequently ask me what skincare products I use and how I maintain such healthy skin. In this post I’m going to share my eight secrets to a clearer complexion.
1. Rinse, Lather, Repeat: First, you need to discover if you have dry skin, oily skin, or, what is called, “combination skin” and tailor products to your needs. Play around to find creams, exfoliators, and other facial care items that work best for you. I prefer natural, organic skincare products without added perfumes or parabens. (Parabens are widely used preservatives found in many beauty products. There has been a lot of buzz linking parabens to some forms of cancer.) A brand I love is called ‘Avalon Organics.’ All of their products are made with pure, organic ingredients. Additionally, they’re a vegan, cruelty-free line; meaning none of their products has been tested on animals!
2. Let Your Face Breathe: A rule of thumb I have always lived by is “never sleep in your make-up.” Your skin needs a chance to breathe. Wearing make-up for an extended period of time will clog your pores and allow bacteria to grow, causing those pesky pimples to pop up as you sleep.
3. Hands Off!: Become conscious of how often you touch your face throughout the day. I have noticed that when I become stressed at work, I tend to touch my chin frequently. Due to finger oils and other potential germs, this leads to breakouts. Do you have a similar habit? Build awareness around it and try to avoid touching your face as much as possible.
4. Is That Clean?: One of the biggest culprits of clogged pores is your phone! How often do you clean that phone? Then think about how many times you put it up to your cheeks. This goes for anything else that touches your face: sunglasses, make-up brushes, hats, and pillowcases.
5. Eating Right: Eating a clean diet is one of the quickest ways to glowing complexion. Eating a diet of fresh fruits and veggies, along with whole grains, is great for your skin! Fruits and veggies have an abundance of anti-oxidants, which will help slow down the aging process and give you a healthy appearance. I have noticed that the greener the diet, the clearer one’s face becomes. (Try adding leafy greens or a fresh green juice to start your day.) If you’re prone to breakouts, you might also want to consider cutting back on common acne triggers, such as dairy and sugar.
6. Fountain of Youth: Staying hydrated is one of the best things you can do for your skin. Water will help to keep your skin hydrated, which is great news! Hydrated skin = greater firmness and less wrinkles. Getting enough water will help to flush unwanted toxins out of your system too.
7. Zen Out: If high-stress situations surround you, it is probably time for you to pick up meditation! Are you a meditation newbie? There are amazing guided meditations on YouTube (or you can stay tuned for my guided meditation series!) Whenever you catch yourself in a stressful situation, take a moment to breathe. Your skin will thank you for it!
8. Hormones: Hormones play a HUGE role in skin health. A hormonal imbalance is often reflected in the complexion of your skin. If you suspect your hormones are to blame, I would recommend talking to an integrative healthcare practitioner.
I hope you found this article helpful. I would love to hear your recommendations, thoughts, and other skin-related tips in the comment box below!
Let’s create balance beyond food!